This program aims to encourage and support men living in the community with early stage dementia to access, participate and enjoy the mateship, camaraderie and activities available in their local Men’s Shed.
What is 'Every bloke needs a shed'?
This pilot program is run in conjunction with Men's Sheds in the Hunter region to ensure men with dementia can access and participate in activities they provide. The Men's Sheds philosophy is to improve the quality of life for men by addressing health issues by providing activities for mature men.
Who can participate?
To be eligible you must:
- Be male (there is no age limit for this program)
- Have a diagnosis of dementia and be in the early stages of the disease or be a male carer or a male family member of a person with dementia
- Be willing and able to become a Shed member (Minimal fees apply)
- Be able to participate in group activities
- Require minimal supervision and support
- Be able to be independent in activities of daily living
- Be able to arrange their own transport to and from the shed.
How can I get involved?
Contact Stuart Torrance (project coordinator) for more information and to arrange an appointment on Ph 02 4962 7000 or email.
Where are the Men's Sheds?
Cessnock Shed & Community Garden
- Open: Monday & Thursday from 9:00am to 3:00pm
- Location: within the grounds of Calvary Nursing Home Complex, off Wine Country Drive at Nulkaba
- Facilitites: On around half a hectare of land, wood/metal work can be undertaken, there is a greenhouse and shade house with plenty of space for gardening activities plus a pizza oven and covered outdoor eating area are great for socialising.
- Website: www.cscg.org.au
Maitland Men’s Shed
- Open: Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 3:00pm
- Location: Jubilee Rd East Maitland
- Facilities: One of the biggest Sheds in the region offers a range of hobbies, wood and metal work, meeting rooms and raised garden beds.
- Email: www.huntervalleyshedclustergroup.org.au/Maitland
Salamander Bay Men’s Shed
- Open: Monday to Friday 8:00am to 1:00pm
- Location: 360 Soldiers Point Rd, Salamander Bay
- Facilities: Located inside the recycling centre makes this shed ‘shed heaven’ where activities lincluding woodwork, metalwork, mechanics, electronics, crafts and many others are available.
Singleton Men’s Shed (currently under construction)
- Meeting at 5:00pm the first Wednesday of each month at Singleton Golf Club, Boundary Street
- Website: www.huntervalleyshedclustergroup.org.au/singleton
Elermore Vale Men's Shed
- Open: Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm
- Location: 129 Croudace Rd, Elermore Vale
- Facilities: Within the grounds of Elermore Vale Community Centre, the Shed offers wood and metal work areas with gardening in and around the grounds.
- Website: http://mens-shed-elermore-vale.com
This program is an initiative of Alzheimer’s Australia NSW and funded by Community Services, Department of Family and Community Services"I'm out doing something that makes me happy."